Thursday, January 30, 2020

STILL MORE Book to be rid of (2020)!

Once again I am trying to get rid of 100 books over the next few months. Since I can barely part with any book I am listing them with a 1 line comment on each one!

LIBRARY

Time 1997 The Year in Review - Editors of Time  - Long time ago....

S is for Silence - Sue Grafton - Don't remember but I bet I read it!

Inside HBOs Game of Thrones - Bryan Cogman - OK but only covers first two seasons or so.

The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown - Great book (his latter were OK) but I'll watch the movie if I want to revisit it.

Clock Without a Face - Gus Twintig  - House Shaped book with a mystery - too obtuse for me

The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook - Dinah Buckholz - I don't cook/

 
RECYCLE BIN - YES - BOOKS I AM THROWING AWAY - HAVE MERCY ON MY SOUL 

We collected multiple guides to Disney parks before our trips:

Birnbaum's Walt Disney World 1994 - Might be out of date?

Fodor's Walt Disney World with Kids 2004 - Might be out of date?

the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2004 - Might be out of date?

the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World for Grown-Ups  - Might be out of date - although it is the 2nd edition from 2001!
 
Back in the early 2000's I did some work on a traffic light controller and bought books on ICs - only later did I hear the expression = "Oh! ICs are so seventies". Seems a shame to discard a book with is almost 50 years old but...


Analog Integrated Circuits - Sidney Soclof  - 1985.

Manual for Integrated Circuit Users - John Lenk  - 1973



Integrated Circuits: A User's Handbook - Michael Cirovic - 1977

Integrated Circuits Projects - Charles D. Rakes - 1975


SIRS34

Dunkirk - Joshua Levine - I saw the movie - also I don't like reading about defeats and retreats - even if it came out all right in the end.

The Greatest Generation - Tom Brokaw - Read parts but the theme is that ordinary people did extraordinary things - yes - but reading about the ordinary things was somewhat boring.

By my count I am at 71 books in the lists - although I fear a posting of books may have been lost!



3 comments:

  1. To Carrie -
    Greatly appreciated your feedback. I was brought up that books were sacred. They were to be treasured, kept and shared but never let go - my dad had the Harvard Classics in the basement - we had several encyclopedias (multiple volume ones) etc. I haven't gotten into the Kindle etc. I once saw a thrift store throw maybe a hundred hardback books in a dumpster - I was traumatized (LOL). But it is time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, see...you mentioned SHARED. The books can't be loved and shared if they are collecting dust on a shelf and never available for anyone else to read.

      Delete
  2. I have laughed quite a few times reading your lists. Travel books from 1994? Year in review books from 1997? I don't think that you need to feel any guilt about parting ways with some of these very outdated books. Even if some of them end up in the recycle bin, at least the paper has a chance to be remade into something useful today, like straws (just kidding - those are completely unusable).

    ReplyDelete